Friday 9 December 2011

9.12.11 Laughing Gravy

No, this is not linked to the Laurel & Hardy dog called "Laughing Gravy", but is a reference to the laughable offers on gravy at ASDA.  I tried to purchase some Bisto gravy granules yesterday, and was amazed at the games being played in supermarkets.

Phase 1
First, I saw that there was an offer on the large pots of Bisto, with the red and yellow ticket announcing "2 for £3".  I picked up two chicken pots, but realised one was larger than the other.  A quick check revealed no markings such as '20% extra free' or anything similar on the larger one, so I picked up two after checking the offer; it related to the large pots each weighing 360g, and they were individually chargeable at £1.67.  Only 17p per pot less for buying two, but as the other supermarket says, 'every little helps'.

Phase 2
I then saw some smaller pots of Bisto further along the shelf, and decided to investigate.  These were the standard 170g size.  The normal price was 98p but they were on offer for 74p.  I decided that whilst this was pro-rata slightly more expensive than the two I'd already put in the trolley, the difference was minimal, and I would not be required to purchase as much gravy - plus I'd have flexibility to mix flavours.  This newly discovered flexibility led to me picking up two of the chicken granules and one pot of onion gravy.  I thus had 510g, 2/3 chicken, 1/3 onion, and would be charged at £2.22 total.  I put the two larger (360g) pots back on the shelf.

Phase 3
At the end of the next aisle, long after I'd moved on with the shopping list, I noticed a further display of Bisto.  Intrigued by the pricing, I looked more closely and discovered that these pots were 300g.  They were on offer at "2 for £2" although the individual price was £1.98 (??)  [I should point out that I later checked online, and the price was supposed to have been £1.40 each]  I considered the options, and dispensed with the three small ones, and picked up a 300g chicken pot and a 300g onion pot.  I was confident that I'd selected the best value option, but was dumbfounded at the confusing nature of gravy sales at ASDA.

For the record, a quick analysis shows the following costs associated with gravy, depending on the size of pot, type of offer, accuracy of offer and whether Uranus is in line with Saturn and the wind is north-easterly!

360g pot - individual - usual correct price   - £1.67  [£4.64 per kilo]
360g pot - 'buy two' - correct offer price   -  £3.00  [£4.17 per kilo]
170g pot - individual - usual correct price   - £0.98  [£5.76 per kilo]
170g pot - individual - correct offer price   -  £0.74  [£4.35 per kilo]
300g pot - individual - usual incorrect price - £1.98  [£6.40 per kilo]
300g pot - individual - usual correct price   - £1.40  [£4.67 per kilo]
300g pot - 'buy two' - correct offer price   -  £2.00  [£3.33 per kilo]

What a complete joke of a pricing policy!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment