Wednesday 14 December 2011

14.12.11 Holiday Inn Sofabeds

I have discovered that sleeping on a sofabed is the most expensive element of a stay at a Holiday Inn Express - more expensive than using a bed!  Why have I come to this conclusion?  I tried to book two rooms yesterday, and discovered a weird charging policy which led to me giving the company the finger (metaphorically).

Initially, I was pleasantly surprised by the cost of the rooms at the Holiday Inn Express.  What with my enquiry being over 21 days in advance, and the location being luckily not the most popular in the world, I found that for immediate payment, I could secure a room at £32.  Five of us needing an overnight stay meant two in one room and three in another.  So, £64 for bed and continental breakfast is good value.  However, I did not book, as I noticed that for more than two in a room, a £25 extra charge per person applies.

Dumbfounded, I tried to reconcile this charging policy with any possible logic, and decided that there was no way it makes sense.  For Mrs MWSC and myself, it would be £32.  However, to add one extra person to the same room and use the sofabed, it was £25 extra?  I could understand a charge for the crappy breakfasts they do, or even the use of a sheet.  Maybe £5 or even £10 - but twenty-five-fuckin-quid?

I decided against £89, and booked two family rooms at the Travelodge 800 metres away, for £38.00 all in.  The £51 saved will cover five McDonalds breakfasts, two taxi fares, and a round of drinks with change.

How it is £16 per person but £25 if you share and sleep on a sofabed I do not know.  On that basis, for £7 more I could have booked three rooms at the Holiday Inn, used two and sub-let one.  Anything above £7 for the room, and I'd have been making money.  However, Travelodge wins - basic, but no stupid policies, and well cheap.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment