Thursday 3 May 2012

3.5.12 Admiral

It was the day after that Dawn called me.  The day after I'd been online, and filled in a few details on a succession of screens, to find out what I'd pay for car insurance.  Yes, last week I thought I'd better check to see whether my Direct Line renewal notice was showing a competitive price.  This led to a decision being necessary on my part - one that could then lead to a lot of grief, or managed grief.  I opted to follow the path of the latter, and get a quote from one other insurer, to gain a 'benchmark'.

I could of course have opted to be 'confused' and run to confused.com for a price.  I could have sought to 'compare' via gocompare.com for some input.  With moneysupermarket adverts annoying me more than most, I decided they could fuck right off.  Considering my similar views on the other two, I thought I'd go to either Aviva or Admiral.  I chose Admiral because earlier this year a scouting mission for Junior led to a favourable quote for him - I say 'favourable' in terms of it being "sub-fuckin-two grand", the amount wanted by some arseholes!

Anyway, I duly tapped away, and arrived at the final screen with a price for my insurance on a basis that was pretty much the same as that offered by Direct Line.  Unfortunately the price was £117 more.  I was very mildly disappointed, but not at all surprised, and in a way it confirmed quite nicely that I need to nothing at all, and allow the automatic renewal to go through.  I did notice an annoyance before I logged off, which was the option for insurance for 10 months rather than a year.  Now, I know the world's gone metric, and there are probably some thick cunts who love a price that can be divided by 10 to get a monthly equivalent, but to my mind I'd rather work in full years, than on a ten-month rolling loup.  I may be old fashioned, and like being able to lob a dwarf seven feet and six inches rather than 228.6cm, but I was not prepared to re-engineer things by dispensing with the last thing that is 'imperial' rather than decimal.  I did not 'save the quote' but shut the window and decided to watch something on ITV Player.



The next day, as I say at the top of this post, Dawn called me on my mobile - the only number I'd entered on the Admiral site.  The caller ID revealed nothing in advance, so I was surprised when she announced who she was, after I'd answered on the second ring.

"I noticed you got a quote from us yesterday, and wondered what you thought.  I notice you didn't go ahead so was it not competitive?"

I resisted any urge to suggest the reason I'd gone online was to avoid a painful conversation, and managed a reasonably good demeanor.

"Unfortunately it wasn't, which was why I didn't go ahead.  My Direct Line renewal was £117 less than your quote so obviously there was no point in considering Admiral for anything."

"Oh, I see.  What exactly are you looking for when it comes to insurance?

"To fulfill my legal obligations at a price that's not stupid.  I have to have insurance, and at my age for a small car that's as powerful as a hairdryer, I need nothing more than straightforward no-frills cover.  I was looking then for a reasonable price, but you're too expensive - and by a lot."

"Ah.  I see.  What were you hoping to pay?"

I thought this was a dumb question, and decided the conversation was at an end.  My relatively amicable disposition was threatening to leave me, and I feared for Dawn if it were allowed to go before I ended the call.

"The bare minumum, and not £117 more than I can get by automatically renewing for the same cover with my existing insurer, with no effort at all.  I think that's it, then.  I've got to go."

"Okay, well hopefully we'll be able to help you next year.  Thanks."

The pointlessness of the whole thing is obvious.  I cannot understand how it's appropriate for the online approach to be fucked up by a phone call to follow - especially from someone who could add nothing to my life, my decision-making process or anything at all worthy of the cost of a phone call.  Still, I let it go and thought no more of it.

A day later my phone rang, and I saw an 08000 number on the display.  I answered, and a bloke introduced himself as Mark from Admiral.

"Sorry, but I've already had one pointless call from Admiral yesterday, and I really don't need another, thank you.

"Ah, I see.  Okay then."

Admiral but certainly not admirable, in terms of premium or tactics in winning me over.  Still, at lease I was not bamboozled and ripped off by the comparison sites.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment