Saturday 19 May 2012

18.5.12 Friday Observations

The day started too early.  The first real decision to be made (apart from which tie) arose upon starting the car at 6.28am.  Within minutes, I decided to turn over and find something other than Radio 2 to listen to - well, Chris Evans came on air and that was a no-brainer.

Radio 4 offered equal annoyance - twice - when there were reports from Robert Peston, whose voice and style of delivery are constantly vying for top spot in the 'most nauseating' category.

Apparently the Queen is okay to have the King of Bahrain round for drinks, despite his brutal supression of the pro-democrasy demonstrations.  It's all okay, though, because the news report including a note that "the Foreign Office had been consulted" before the invite was confirmed.  I am struggling to understand if this demonstrates complete ignorance by the monarch (ours, not Hamad al-Khalifa) of world affairs and common decency, or a complete fuck-up and display of cunting stupidity by the Foreign Office.  I concluded, on my long drive this morning, that it was almost certainly the case that both parties were at fault.  Meanwhile Sophia of Spain decides to snub the Queen because she's pissed off about Gibraltar.  [It's tempting to agree because I was pissed off with Gibraltar after my visit - not that good, so a fuss over nothing much! - However, I suspect it's not the tackiness of the place that she's pissed off about.]

On the outskirts of Bradford, I see a sign on a board, positioned on the grass in front of a Church:

"There are some questions that can't be answered by Google."

On the one hand, clever, and/or mildly amusing.  On the other, I was tempted to put up my own sign alongside it, so drivers could get a balanced view.

"Google can give me answers about facts on the history of the planet, dinosaurs and evolution.  My priest had no fucking clue, talked shit, and produced more waffle than could be created by 5lbs of potatoes.  Google taught me that it was worth going to for answers.  I managed two chats with the priest, and dropped it; I have never been confirmed."

I considered that the sign would need to be on a 6ft x 4ft board, and would be ungainly.  Further, unless cars were in a traffic jam (as I was) the drivers would have to read all that in sections, during multiple commuter drive-bys.  By this time, I had skirted the edge of Bradford and heading to Halifax.

I did have time to notice, while leaving the church sign behind me, that a few of the local side roads were named in such a way as to suggest inspiration was rather lacking by some or other cunt at the council, years and years ago.  Three adjacent turnings were announced by signs that said: "The Drive", "The Avenue" and "The Crescent".  I suspect I may have missed some others in the vicinity, probably mentioning a road, a terrace and a close.  I considered "The Boulevard" would be too pretentious, and ignored my minds efforts to consider "The Lion", "The Witch" and "The Wardrobe" as better alternatives.

Halifax was a terrible place, and reminded me of the fucking adverts where bastards insist on singing [Argghhhhhhhhh!]. 

Then, on my way back, as if God (not Google, of course) was sending me a sign, I learned from the Radio that the Jubilee song created by Gary Barlow and Andrew Lloyd Webber was called "Sing", and then the thing was played.- awful.

It seems that the Olympic Torch has arrived in this country, and will be moved around the UK ahead of some running and jumping that's scheduled to happen in London.  Waste of fuckin' time, I say.  I haven't studied the exact route, although I'm aware that it will be no more than a mile or two from me.   am tempted to suggest to organisers that they speed up some local redevelopment/regeneration, and burn some stuff while their at it.



Facebook is apparently worth over $100billion, but all I know is the permanent tampering with things annoys the fuck out of me.

This evening I laughed at Very Important People, the Channel 4 comedy, and especially liked the Sophie Dahl sketch.  Some of today's humour on TV has related to the economic problems in Greece.  It's in poor taste - there are so many people desolate.  I am not one for policing humour, and anything goes in my book, but it did seem there was a bandwagon to jump on today, laughing at the woes of Greeks.  If the UK started to halve the wages of public sector workers, I rather think there would be few jokes about it!  We ought not to be so smug, because the UK is screwed, we just don't know yet to what degree!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment