Sunday 30 March 2014

30.3.14 Signs Of Error and Other Material


Premisses



I don't think you'll find a better example of a rather fucked up shop sign than this.  I can't believe that the owners who commissioned it are that dozy, or that the sign makers were oblivious of the howling error.  I wonder how many customers have a clue and bother to mention it to Mr or Mrs (assuming there is one) Santino.  Not enough to prompt any action, I assume.

Belfry

An expensive cardboard brochure for simply THE spa at The Belfry is amusing in respect of one of the offers, a 140-minute session for two.  The wording is in my opinion slightly misleading:

"An experience designed for those wishing to share a special moment with your partner or friend."

I would suggest that a deficiency in the use of English has arisen here, because it seems to be targeted at wife swapping/sharing.  I am not sure, as the reader, I'd want to take up an offer for someone to share a moment with my partner!

Need A Taxi?

Ordering a pint a while ago, I noticed pinned to the wall an invitation to use Paul's taxi service, via the small card which sadly read:

Paul's Taxi's

Under the simply two-word summary of the business was a phone number, though I decided that if Paul could overuse apostrophes, he might be inclined to overcharge as well.  I left with my cider.

B & Q



Toliet Accessories?  Didn't someone notice when it was being printed, or put up?


Corner Shop

This is an example of a classic mistake, displayed on a small free-standing board outside a local shop.  Items for sale included:

Ice Cream and Ice Lolly's

This is sometimes known as the Greengrocer's Apostrophe.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment