Monday 10 March 2014

10.3.14 Barraco Barner


Barraco Barner



I don't think I am surprised by the fact that a receptionist in a beauty salon has tweeted something that displayed her ignorance of Barack Obama's name, or his position in relation to the UK [ie. NOT our President!].  Every now and again there is such a useless injection, and the ether is filled with twittering people who take the piss - for very good reason.

What I am struggling with, though, is the fact that Gemma Worrall claims to have 17 passes at GCSE.  Let's assume that she knows what a 'pass' is, and that they are all (well, before her tweet anyway) allegedly worth a bit more than the paper they are written on.  On such a basis, I can only surmise that either the standard of a GCSE has fallen dramatically, or there is simply no benefit in 'being qualified'.  Clearly these 17 things have had little benefit if the holder is free to display a completely detached outlook.  This is my issue with exams these days, and the drive by schools to get more and more passes for their temporary inhabitants.  Statistics and league tables are pointless if the products of the system haven't a clue about real life.

I am sure Gemma Worrall is a lovely woman, and I am sorry that she and her family have received awful attention.  No doubt she will be rather more careful when thinking about posting comments in the future.  As for the more general state of affairs, I shudder at how young people can grow up in such oblivion.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment