Saturday 19 November 2011

19.11.11 Kleenex

I cannot work out if it is Kleenex at fault for ripping off the consumer, or Tesco [probably more likely].  While putting my shopping on to the conveyor belt today, I was surprised to see an extensive amount of space allocated to Kleenex tissues, above the rack containing those other last minute essentials (over-priced chocolate bars).  I am used to ignoring a Cadbury's Flake at 68p (when I could most likely have bought a four-pack in aisle 13 for £1.20.  However, the tissue experience was a first.

This was the first time I'd seen the individual packs of tissues available at the checkout - for a staggering 55p each.  Purely by chance, I for the first time this year (in the UK) had put in with my shopping a multipack of these tissues.  Whilst they were not branded as 'Kleenex', they were individual small packets of tissue.  My multipack cost me just £1.19 - for 18 of the individual packets!  That works out at 6.61 pence each.

However, that's not the end of it; the Kleenex packs contain nine sheets, whereas the cheaper ones contain 10 sheets.  So, that's even worse value, and the real price of the cheap ones is actually lower (for 9 tissues pro-rata) at 5.95p.  Below the '55p' price at the checkout was the helpful £6.12 per 100 sheets.  The summary after my calculations is as follows.

Kleenex Tissues

55p for nine = 6.11 pence per tissue or £6.12 per 100 sheets

Other Tissues

6.61p for ten = 0.661 pence per tissue or £0.66 per 100 sheets

The Kleenex tissues work out at NINE AND A QUARTER TIMES THE PRICE.

Tesco - 'Every Little Helps'

...

No comments:

Post a Comment