Sunday 18 September 2011

18.9.11 The C-Word

While undertaking a bit of research, I came across the Merriam-Webster site that gives dictionary definitions of words, and decided to look up my favourite one.

Cunt - noun:  offensive + obscene  1: a woman's sexual organs

2 British
Used as an offensive way to refer to a stupid or annoying person.  Cunt is an extremely offensive word in all of its uses and should be avoided.

2 US
Interestingly, it shows a slightly more restricted use for Americans: Used as an offensive way to refer to a woman.

[Note - the plural is "Cunts", should you have been in any doubt.]

On this site, just below the small sections on origin, and the next word in the dictionary (Cuntline) is an amusing request for input, as follows:

What made you want to look up cunt? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).

I thought about entering something, to expand the database, but in the end decided against it as I'd be typing for a week.  There are so many varied uses made of the word by me, and of all the derivatives as well.  It was pleasing to note the clarification from one dictionary, that endorses some of my uses of the word.  The Macquarie Dictionary of Australian English says that when it is used with a positive qualifier (good, funny, clever etc.) it conveys a positive sense of the object or person referred to [ie. 'He's a funny cunt' is a positive remark].

I am conscious that I make have piqued your interest through the aforementioned Cuntline and so I'd like to clarify its meaning:

1: The spiral groove between the strands of a rope
2: The space between the bilges of two casks stowed side by side

There, that's a quick update on some cunt-related matters for today.  I hope this has been to some small degree enlightening, but if not, tough.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment