Saturday 27 August 2011

27.8.11 Van Gogh

Scene

Living room, with son and daughter-in-law playing Call of Duty, Mrs MWSC reading, and TMWSC logged on to his laptop and playing You Tube music.

TMWSC: "Here's one for you" (to Son)
From the laptop comes "Crying" sung by Don McLean
SON: "No! Not that - turn it off!" (shaking head)
DIL: "I like this" (singing along)
At the chorus, DIL and TMWSC wail in time
SON: Turn it off!  Why?  Dad! (Vigorously shakes head)
DIL/TMWSC: "Cry, y, y, y-ing, over youuuu, cry, y, y, y-ing, over youuuu"

Before war breaks out (other than the conflict represented in Call of Duty) TMWSC stops the song, and switches it to another Don McLean classic - "Vincent"

DON: "Starry starry night, paint your palette blue and grey"
DIL: "Oh, I like this - who is it?"
TMWSC: "It's Vincent by Don McLean"
DON: "Look out on a summer's day"
DIL: "I don't think I know him"
DON: "With eyes that know the darkness in my soul"
TWWSC: "It's the same guy who just did Crying"
DIL: "Oh. I think it's really good.
DON: "Shadows on the hills, sketch the trees and the daffodils"
MRS MWSC: "Was it Van Gogh?"
DON: "Catch the breeze and the winter chills"
TMWSC: "Yep"
DIL: "But I thought it was the same guy who did Crying" (?)
DON: "In colours on the snowy linen land.  Now I understand . . . ."

Howls of laughter drowned out Don, who was at that moment sympathising ["How you suffered for your sanity"] and looking back, the words were rather apt.  I decided against cutting off a piece of ear, though.

...

1 comment: