Saturday 27 August 2011

27.8.11 Brown Gold

The going rate for Easy Cook Rice is about £1.25 per kilo.  Sugar is typically sold at around 88p per kilo, and even Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (for which you don't need the sugar) are sold at less than £3.00 per kilo.  Butter's about £5.00.  Meat is a bit more expensive, of course, but even so, chicken breasts are circa £6.00 per kilo and I bought some rump steak yesterday, on offer at just under £7.00 per kilo.

All of the above makes the cost of a small bar of Galaxy chocolate more shocking than ever.  The 46g bar was 69p.  Unbelievable - one and a half pence per gramme.  Not in the league of gold, but way above the general cost of other foodstuffs, as mentioned.  It makes the chocolate £15.00 per kilo.

Galaxy TV Advert
"Oo, I know what I feel like" [she goes to the cupboard but her chocolate is gone]
"Who was it this time?" [photo of her with her two female house mates]
"I'm glad they don't know about this place" [she opens a box, retrieved from under her bed]
"Think hiding it, think Galaxy" [strap-line message for the product]

Real Life Experience
"Oo, I fancy some chocolate" [TMWSC nips to the Co-op]
"What the fuck!" [69p for the tiniest bar of Galaxy]
"Waste of time coming to this cuntin' place" [leaving the shop]
"I'm glad I remembered where I hid something better" [smiling]
"Think Curly Wurly, think 5 for a pound, think result" [Multi-pack from Morrisons, £7.69/kilo]

...

No comments:

Post a Comment