Saturday 4 December 2010

4.12.10 Cold Snap

"A sudden brief spell of cold weather" can be described as a "cold snap", according to the Reader's Digest Oxford Complete Wordfinder [ A Unique and Powerful Combination of Dictionary and Thesaurus ].

Now, as far as I'm concerned, I do not want to hear after today the term "snap", because the spell of cold weather has extended well beyond "brief", and the suddenness has completely died a death!

While I'm talking about the weather, I must relay a ludicrous comment from a BBC Radio presenter a week ago, in her preamble to a forecast.  Her wondrous words were:

"We've a major snow event on the way tomorrow"

EVENT!  My God, presenters talk shit . . . .

PS: Clearing snow from the road outside the house a week ago, hours of fun digging because no other fucker bothers.  At 3.50pm, down the lane comes a chap of about 50 years, wrapped up in coat, gloves and hat.  As he passes, he greets me with "Good Morning" and in doing so, emits fumes that confirm he's completely pissed.  This was further evidenced by some other utterance which was impossible to understand.  Off he strolled, in a world of his own.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment