Monday 20 December 2010

20.12.10 Money Off

In a rush to join the checkout queue in Peacocks recently (necessary because Fucker's Law states that as soon as you decide to pay for something, every other browsing cunt decides to make a move to the checkout as well) I found myself behind my son, who staked a claim on my behalf and beat two other shoppers.  Pleased with the outcome, I let him proceed with the purchase while I browsed a bit more.

Handing me the bag containing the shirt, he announced to me the price paid - some 20% less than I expected.  I then discovered that a "Student Discount" had allowed him to save me some money.  Whilst I was thankful for this small benefit, I was also rather irked that he was given special treatment, simply because of his student status, closely linked to a general age bracket.  If I had joined the queue, then I would have paid 25% more than my son for the very same item - without even knowing that Students could buy for less.

On the one hand, I do not begrudge anyone some discount, but the arbitrary nature of the qualification for discounts is often annoying.  In Focus, it's house movers who get discount.  Often it's OAPs.  I regularly see lower rates for those on benefits of some description, and also for those with disabilities.  One thing is very clear to me - I never qualify.  Anyway, back to Peacocks.  I fail to see how the store is not ripping off consumers when it can throw away 20% of the purchase price just because the person arriving at the checkout may be learning something.  I considered viewing things the other way round, and my son seemed to take my point when I used this tactic to explain my point.

His presentation of a £5 T-shirt and pleasure at finding it would cost just £4 was nice.  But imagine queuing, expecting to pay £4 for a T-shirt, to be told at the checkout "sorry, you're old and past learning, so it'll cost you £5 not £4".  Same outcome, based on the same facts and 'offer'.

I have now employed my son as Chief Purchaser, for anything where a student discount might apply - pending arrival of my student union card!  You can teach an old cunt new tricks!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment