Monday 20 December 2010

20.12.10 SPOTY

I am quite sure he's a very nice guy, and so my comment is not about the individual concerned.  Nevertheless, a Darts player?

Sports Personality of the Year is already a questionable term, because in the vast majority of cases, sports men and women struggle to display any traits that might suggest they have personalities.  In fact, very many take up sport precisely because they have no personalities.  To have second place in the 2010 competition awarded to a darts player brings a whole new level of absurdness to gong-handing-out. 

When I have a pint and throw a few arrows, I don't consider that I'm actually partaking in 'sport'.  Until a few years ago, these "athletes" used to hold the darts in one hand and a lit fag in the other - while the eighth pint sat on the nearest table!  Sport?  Fuck off.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment