Tuesday 19 June 2012

19.6.12 Unadulterated Muesli

I am struggling massively with the  phrase 'unadulterated muesli' which is apparently what Dorset Cereals is responsible for.  They make mueslis and I know this not because I am a muesli eater, but because the till receipt from a recent Cunt-op transaction was accompanied by a 'coupon' offering me a £1 discount when I spend £1 or more on Dorset Cereals Muesli.

The term 'unadulterated' is in my view totally misused by this company.  "Not mixed or diluted with any extra elements; complete and absolute" is the summation of the word's meaning.  However, packaged muesli is a mixture of rolled oats and/or cornflakes with fruit, nuts and seeds.  Muesli commonly contains other cereal grains, eg. wheat, or rye flakes.  There are options for mueslis to contain honey, spices or chocolate.  Syrup, marmalade, salt and sugar are all variables as well, so the reality is that there is so much variation on what constitutes 'muesli', there cannot really be an 'unadulterated' version.

Dorset Cereals seem to manage a fair few varieties in the range.  I think someone in 'Marketing' has thought that the word 'unadulterated' sounds good, and a little bit devilish, and in a meeting managed to get others to agree to this description of the product, despite the blatant flaw.

Anyway, I'll skip the rabbit food, and leave Dorset Cereals to consider its marketing approach.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment