Wednesday 25 January 2012

25.1.12 Dinosaurs & Religion

In the world of 'religion', there are most definitely some 'dinosaurs' - old relics who hang on, each touting the mantra that fits his (and occasionally but not often) her point of view.  But the dinosaurs I am really referring to and the ones that most definitely inhabited the earth.

As yet, I have never received an adequate explanation on how these creatures fit into any of the stories that supposedly support the main religions of the world.  It seems to me that whether there's a knock on the door from a Mormon, or a summoning to an Anglican church via a bell, or a chap on top of a minaret calling followers to prayer, there is little mention of the massive creatures that once ruled Earth.  I asked a priest for an answer once; the lack of decent response to this question led to my own abandonment of talks ahead of my possible confirmation.  I rather suspect I'd never have got that far for other reasons anyway, and still struggle to understand how the Catholic church could advocate for those at risk of AIDS in Africa celibacy or some other method (timely withdrawal?) rather than condoms.  God apparently was quite happy to see the spread of disease and increased suffering, and was adamant that people should be banned from using condoms. 

I am more than happy to receive proper input on this matter, but suspect that there is nothing much to say except that religion fails to deal with dinosaurs.  Archaeology helps us to understand (to a point) what has preceded us on this planet.  Religion simply sets people against each other, and factions seem to act as though they are supporters of football teams.  Everyone seems to claim to have God on his/her side, whatever name that 'God' goes under.  There is either one God, or no God.  Atheists don't tend to cause wars or any grief at all really - they leave it to the 'supporters'.  Agnostics are non-players and non-supporters.  We are therefore left with an unsatisfactory position whereby half a dozen religions (and who knows how many 'sub-sets') thrive and encourage followers to sustain them.  I am not particularly well educated, and certainly have no real interest in religion whereby I profess a specific faith.  I am in fact 'open minded'.

Maybe I will one day reconcile the existence of dinosaurs with one or more of the religions, but as things stand, Dinosaurs seem to work with none of them.  I believe in Dinosaurs, so must therefore doubt all religion.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment