Monday 28 January 2013

28.1.13 Problem Page - Problems of the Week

Maybe I have a warped sense of humour.  Actually, there's no 'maybe' about it. Still, on this occasion I am quite sure my amusement is shared by others, because there were a couple of entries in Saturday's paper that are worthy of repetition here.  Initially I'd missed them, but they were read out aloud around the kitchen table by finacee of TMWSC Junior, and I decided they needed further attention.  The first is certainly a funny one.  The second is simply unbelievable.  So here we go - Problems of the Week

Dear Deidre

When my youngest child left home, my wife decided she didn't want to be bored and needed a new focus in life.  Sadly she's found it in network marketing - selling cleaning products.  It's driving me mental and making us both social lepers.  I'm 43 and she's 44 and we have been happily married for 22 years.  But since she started this lark there are stickers all over the house saying things like: "I will be regional manager!!"
    She even went on a training course in the States and came back talking like an American and spouting pure company jargon.  Worst of all, she's contacted all of our friends locally to "present her business" and push all her products on them.  I'm worried they'll start to avoid us.

TMWSC says: A pound to a penny this is Amway.  As Deidre noted in her response, it will in time fizzle out, and she'll run out of people interested enough to participate, whether in joining in with the selling or with buying stuff. It's sad that the response/answer includes the probable failure of the enterprise, though.  Whatever the outcome of this situation, it will most certainly be the case that friends will be rather cool about the intrusion and touting.


Dear Deidre

My boyfriend and I are keen to settle down and start a family.  Everyone says it's too soon but what do they know? [A fucking lot, as it turns out]  I'm 19 and work in a bar.  He's 21 and he's got a good job in a service centre.  I met him at a party on Christmas Eve.  I'm head over heels in love with him and he feels the same about me.  [So far, this is not looking as promising from my point of view as it is from hers]
    I've been with him now for two weeks but I've known him for more than a month.  I'm moving into his flat with him next week.  We texted the other day about having a baby and know our own minds - it's what we both want.  I just need an opinion from someone who doesn't know me.  Am I moving too fast?

TMWSC says: I don't know you, so hopefully my opinion will be useful.  "Get a fucking grip, you daft twat!"  Talk about irresponsible.  Sure, meeting someone and falling in love is one thing, and moving in is not totally OTT - but having a baby?!  It's this sort of action that creates so many of the problems in this country, for the state (benefits etc) and the fathers, and for the poor kids. You'll likely be a single parent, whinging about benefits while the rest of the population whinges about you.  I'm sure it's bad enough becoming pregnant unintentionally, but to do so as rapidly as this is just stupid.  If you are typical of teenagers today, the UK is more fucked than I thought it was.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment