Thursday 5 April 2012

5.4.12 Chinese Emissions

I am apparently supposed to worry about my car's emissions, and my car tax is of course determined to a large extent by how much pollution it causes.  The country seems obsessed with carbon footprints (ironic expression, since I try not to walk anywhere but drive instead) and there are on-costs for everyone because of this approach.  Still every little helps . . . . . or does it?

In 1977, there were one million cars in China
In 2008, there were fifty-one million cars in China
There are now eighty-five million cars in China
By 2020, there will be 200 million cars in China

I think you get the message; it matters little whether your car is efficient or not.  With 38,000 sold every day (one every 2.3 seconds) in China, there's no real hope of a cleaner world.  This is even more the case when you realise that there are not the same controls and restrictions on emissions for cars in China!



With all this going on in the motoring world, we're doomed - and I've not even mentioned the industrial output!

...

No comments:

Post a Comment