Monday 30 April 2012

30.4.12 Nature Deficit Disorder

I've heard it all now!  The TV was on yesterday, although little attention was being paid to it by either me or Mrs MWSC, until a phrase captured our joint attention.  A presenter was suggesting that many kids are "suffering" from Nature Deficit Disorder.  What the fuck?  [I thik the programme was Cunt-ryfile]

Yes, I know full well that too many hours are spent in front of screens, and that kids these days have different priorities from those prevalent in my day.  I have no doubt that kids would generally be healthier and have a more diverse outlook if they were to spend more time outside.  Even so, there's no need to create a fucking label like this!  All that will happen now is the term being used to explain issues and behaviours, and it will mean responsibility is not taken for having a well-rounded and balanced upbringing.

There are many diseases, conditions and ailments that are either serious or debilitating.  Many have useful shorter references, such as M.E. and AIDS.  However, giving a handy label for something as pathetic as not getting out of the house enough is plainly bonkers.  Sooner or later, with this stupid approach, we'll have people claiming sickness benefits and incapacity benefits as a result of their deficiency on the nature front!  As it is, there are some who love labels, to excuse issues, and things get a bit clouded.  ADHD is a good one for that.

What next?  How about these: NUTS, MANIAC, NOBBY, SOFA, TWITS Deficit

No Use Trying Syndrome
Marginalised And Now I'm A Cunt
Not Obese, Big Boned Yes
Shortage Of Fresh Air
Two Weeks In The Sun

I have myself been suffering, especially from GSSW which has left me desperate to collect something else, probably football stickers by Panini, and I fear for my sanity after the effects of YCBTFTD.

This world is a mess!




Green Shield Stamps Withdrawal
You Can't Buy Tooty Fruities These Days
...

No comments:

Post a Comment