Wednesday 25 April 2012

25.4.12 Darcey and Alesha

What fun it must be to work at The Sun newspaper.  Today's edition contains riveting news that Darcey Bussell is to become the new judge on Strictly Come Dancing, replacing Alesha Dixon.  In itself, this is hardly earth shattering, but I can see why it would be reported as news.  I am not sure it required nine tenths of  page 7, especially as a massive picture of Bruce Forsythe and a speech bubble [NICE TUTU SEE YOU] was included to the detriment of all sane readers.  What I found most amusing, though, was the creativity of the newspaper through the inclusion of a little table to help me make the comparison between the two women.



This helpful little chart makes the task so much easier, as it is packed with valuable information.  I can make an assessment of the revised arrangements, and I thank The Sun for its assistance.  Poor Alesha is being portrayed almost as a 'low-life' when you see how they differ.  The compiler has stopped short of including other information, which would be massively contentious, and stray into the 'no go' zone.  This would mean stating:

Class:           Posh v Common
Colour:         White v Black
Behaviour:    Prim v Brash
Entitlement:  Deserving v Bit Lucky

The comparison made is very subtle discrimination, because it tries to belittle Alesha to some degree.  Still, if Darcey gets £100,000 and Alesha gets £300,000 then I doubt Alesha is too bothered.  I have nothing against either of them, and had never thought to compare them before the newspaper article.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment