Sunday 22 December 2013

22.12.13 - Alcohol & Pork at M&S



Common sense at Asda - what the fuck?  I am surprised to report that some of this rare stuff has been shown by the people in charge at Asda.  Even the bosses at Tescunt have adopted a sensible approach to allowing the British public to purchase alcohol and pork without issue at the checkout.

However, Your / Our / Not Fucking My M&S has I believe rather fucked up with its latest ruling on how sales will be conducted, allowing those employed to serve the right to refuse to serve.  I was under the impression that if one wanted to do a job and earn the wage for it, then he/she would have to do the fucking job!

Checkout workers in more than 700 stores have been given permission to decline to serve customers with alcohol or port on religious grounds.  This is going too far.  Shoppers will be asked (politely, we are told) to use another till. Fuck that!  Are we seriously saying that I could load up a conveyor belt with groceries that should cost £50 (but will actually cost £80) and if my last item is a can of Shandy Bass with 0.2% alcohol, I'll be asked to use another till?  I think abandoning the shopping altogether is the most likely outcome it that situation!

M&S has lots its corporate mind.  Meanwhile, at Asda, anyone objecting to handling pork or alcohol is not allowed to work on the checkouts; this is an official policy.  I assume they're also banned from restocking the BW&S aisle, and don't go anywhere near the meat aisle.  Then of course they can't work on the frozen meats, or in the warehouse taking in deliveries which might contain meat or drink.  I suppose if I mention the sweet aisle (wine gums etc) I might be being facetious.  Tescunt agrees with Asda, saying it would make no sense to employ staff on a till who refused to touch specific items, although without any actual policy, it 'wings it' on a case by case basis.

Religious and Cultural reasons can be cited at Morrisons by workers who don't want to handle these things, and the company manages "to work around" these things.  That tells us little about what really is allowed, or not. Sainsbury's seems to have been rather bolder by telling Muslim staff there is no reason why they can't handle the goods even if they do not eat or drink the products.  Well done, Sainsbury's.  It seems that you, along with Asda and Tescunt are of the opinion that generally, the customers are important, and that having a job means doing the job.  Morrisons plays its cards closer to its chest.  M&S is up its arse.

I am so confused, because there should really be a straightforward approach across the board, surely.  If one wants a job, then one does the job.  If I am a conscientious objector, I do not join the fucking Army.  If I cannot deal with the sight of blood, then working in a hospital's A&E department is not really suitable.  If a woman has vaginismus, then being a hooker is probably not the best career path.  Do vegetarians qualify for being allowed to reject any dealings with meat completely?  Bollocks / Quorn !!!

My own cultural and religious beliefs amount to not wanting to be treated like some sort of cunt.  Sadly, by beliefs are trampled on, pretty much on a daily basis, by so many things and people, and it is so disappointing when companies and institutions manage to offend the fuck out of me with their

pathetic/pompous/cuntish/pandering/supposedly pc/weak/misplaced/double-standard/cringeworthy/lily-livered/shite/sad and sanctimonious

actions.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment