Monday 27 June 2011

26.6.11 Sainsbury's Claim

I am interested to know how trading standards are interpreting the ludicrous claim from Sainsbury's that it's possible to feed a family of four, for a week, for £50.  By my reckoning, that's £7.14 per day to feed a typical family.  On an individual basis, it sounds even worse.  I fail to see how £1.78 will sustain me for a day.  A single sandwich costs that much.  Breakfast, Lunch, Evening Meal?  Sorry, but unless it's a 7-day diet of shit bolognese and value pasta at 17p for 500g, the claim is one that cannot be supported.  In fact, I would say that to try and maintain a family in good health for that sum is stupid.

So, stop telling porky pies, JS, and start considering a revised advertising campaign that stacks up in the real world.  Just because it might be possible to manage an odd day at £7.14 for a family, based on no one having three meals or eating anything that carries a brand name, it is not a sustainable approach to good living.  I am quite sure that I could eat the orange and white packaging to make rations go that little bit further, and there would be equal nutrition in that.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment