Friday 26 November 2010

26.11.10 Today Please, Josephine!

The "Sliding Doors" moment of my life may have happened today, at the point I decided on which queue to join at Morrisons.  I opted for the first one I came to, 'manned' by Josephine.  Ahead of me was a couple whose shopping on the conveyor was not a mountain by any means.  I was able to put some of mine on to the conveyor, expecting that I'd be served quite soon. 

My worries arrived rather quicker than the speed with which Josephine scanned goods.  Inch by painful inch, the conveyor progressed, to allow me eventually to transfer all my shopping from the small trolley.  To my left, I would already have been in the process of packing my shopping, as that checkout operator was of normal talent.  Josephine's till would have benefited from an overhead sign (perhaps a re-working of the old '9 Items or Less' sign [ we all no that should have been "Fewer" ] which is no longer in use since the introduction of the new tills, called: You do all the scanning yourself, while someone stands and watches you.  Josephine's sign could have said "9 Minutes or More" to serve as a warning regarding the wait, for those naive enough to join her queue.

The only amusing thing about her dedication to process the shopping was her grappling technique when trying to scan a 2.5kg bag of potatoes.  The inanimate objects within the bag were rolled, mauled and pinned down as Josephine hoped they would yield, and allow their barcode to register on the fixed scanner.  I was transfixed as she wrestled with the bag for ages.  If it had been dough, it would have received a fantastic kneading.  Needing to leave, I refrained from commenting, and continued to pack.

I will of course in future avoid any till operated by Josephine - no doubt a lovely woman, but not ideally suited to checkouts.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment