Monday 26 August 2013

27.8.13 Snippets From The Papers


Is This Really Entertainment?

I accidentally stumbled across the listings for last night, on the Satellite channel 'Really'.  I was half way through watching the overly long 'Vera' on ITV and mid yawn I decided to see what else might be on.  My disbelief was severe, upon seeing the 'Really' entry for eleven o'clock.

11.00 My Breasts and I  Jenny Frost discusses the anxieties she has about her breasts.

Well really!  Sandwiched between "Another 101 Things Removed From The Human Body" and "Celebrity Rehab", it was second in a run of three rather peculiar programmes.  In the next column I saw some offerings from Quest, a channel with an identity crisis based on a run of four programmes, as follows:

12.00 How Do They Do It?
1.00 Couples Who Kill
2.00 Total Fishing with Matt Hayes
3.00 Tommy Walsh's Eco House

Katie Price's Problems

In her regular column this week, KP highlighted the plight of Vietnamese women smuggled into the UK to work in 'Nail Bars'.  In particular, she covered the awful story of Li Tan, who was brought here and gang raped before being put to work in a cannabis factory.  Then she was moved to a nail bar, to work as a technician by day and when it turned to a brothel at night, as a prostitute. Before learning of Li Tan's rescue, there was a final sentence from KP that introduced some (unintentional) humour:

"Me and Li Tan have got one thing in common.  We are both trained nail technicians."

I must say that my mind had raced ahead and I was not thinking of that particular common link.  As for KP's appalling grammar ['Me and Li Tan . . .] it goes to prove that you need no qualifications to get a newspaper column these days, other than an inflated opinion of yourself and inflated breasts.

Problem Page Problems of the Month

I have two for August that are quite simply amusing, although each demonstrates a sadness with a rather different twist and consequence.  Both females involved are deluded and completely silly.

1  - When my boyfriend asks me to give sexual favours to his mates I do it because I'm so infatuated with him. and he said I should if I love him.  I'm 16 and he is 22.  We met in a club and had sex, and I asked to see him again. He agreed but said our relationship would only be casual as he has other girls he sees.  I love him though, so I'm happy to be with him whenever he wants to see me.  I turned up at his flat last week and he had two mates there.  He took me to his bedroom and we had sex.  Then he said his mates wanted sex too.  I agreed and they both came in and took it in turns to have sex with me.  I've done this twice now.  I just want to please my boyfriend but do you think he really cares about me?

2  - I have only seen my boyfriend for four hours in four months and I'm fed up. We've been together for six months but he's a workaholic.  We decide to meet but he then always has something else he needs to do.  I don't want to break up but it's making me unhappy.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment