Friday 4 July 2014

5.7.14 Shit About Toilet Rolls





The subversive efforts of manufacturers and retailers have few limits, and the most recent of my observations relates to the shit associated with toilet rolls, and in particular, the large packs that purport to give excellent value.  These 16-Roll blocks of paper seem to be rather common, and are available at bargain prices, usually between £5 and £7.  It is vital, though, that consumers look rather more closely at the very small writing that confirms the contents.  Such an effort will prove enlightening.  Not only is there a big difference between the 'bargains' from different manufacturers, but a difference between products from the same manufacturer, a difference that is often unnoticed or even disguised.

This was brought to my attention last week at Asda, where I was presented with an offer from Andrex for 16 rolls at £6.  I wondered whether to bother, especially as I'd recently got some from the Co-op - Cushelle at only £5 for the 16 rolls.  The Andrex was displayed on two levels; at the top was a blue pack and below were some purple packs, one of which I picked up.  A check of the labelling, and a cross check with the blue pack led me to change my mind, and opt for the latter.  The sheets in the purple one had a slight pattern on the sheets, apparently.  Here are some alarming details regarding the various sizes of the rolls, and how the 'bargains' actually compare.




In effect, the Cushelle I bought from the Cunt-Op a few weeks ago was a complete rip-off, as the 16 rolls were in fact equivalent (pound for pound) to only 14 rolls of Andrex Blue.  I suspect there are very few people who'd look at two large 16-roll blocks of toilet roll and expect that the rolls in one had 241 sheets while those in the other had 180.  Cushelle - Cushit.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment