Sunday 30 January 2011

30.1.11 Touting Twats

Last weekend, in a shopping centre, I encountered a "stand" in the middle of the wide walkway, consisting of a few sandwich board style notices, and two dubious looking individuals in front, holding business cards.  The messages on the boards all related to accidents, and whether there might be reason to claim for damages etc.  I was mildly surprised that there was deemed reason enough to supplement the enormous TV and press advertising for these services, and that two blokes loitering in a shopping centre was the way forward.

As I ambled along, aiming to go past the stand, the younger of the two touters took a couple of steps in my direction:

"Any accidents, Sir?"

What an unbelievable question / comment / offer !!!  I really felt like he was offering me an accident, in the same way that a waiter with a tray might enquire as to whether I might like something to eat - "Any hors d'oeuvres, Sir"

I said "No, thank you", but I think there was no appreciation on his part for the wonderful perversity of the exchange.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment