Monday 28 September 2020

28.9.20 Minutiae - No Small Thing

This morning's Today Programme on Radio 4 included an interview with someone called Adrian Wootton from the British Film Commission.  It was, and remains, of no interest to me or most people, but I mention it now because of two words he included.  In reviewing steps relating to risk and Covid-19, he said people had:

"Gone into the granular minutae"

I have purposely spelled the last word incorrectly, based on the pronunciation.  Aside from me wondering what the fuck it is (granular minutiae) I was baffled by it being said as though spelled:

min-u-thai

So this tautological bollocks, incorrectly presented, was so annoying I just had to note it.  The standard of English and care is not up to much these days, and my despair is topped up relentlessly.  The drop in standards is no small thing.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment