Thursday 11 April 2013

11.4.13 Highway Maintenance Worker

What a complete arsehole I encountered on Tuesday.  When I say 'encountered', it could just have easily been 'killed', assuming I'd not died myself in the incident.

I was driving along, minding my own business, and was doing 70mph on the motorway.  Having overtaken a slow vehicle in the slow lane, I was still in the middle lane when I saw up ahead, on the hard shoulder, I pick-up and two men in high visibility work wear, loitering.  So far, nothing particularly unusual, not even the fact that one of the maintenance workers was holding a spade.

Then, for some fucking reason, the bloke with the spade decided to trot out into the motorway.  I thought he was making a dash to the central reservation, and I knew he would never make it.  He ran from the hard shoulder, and I considered that there was no possible outcome other than I was going to hit him; I prepared to swerve - doing 70mph!

The cunt got to the edge of the slow lane, and dropped something on his spade on to the road, about three feet into the middle lane, turned and withdrew as I drove over the exact place where his spade had been a fraction of a second earlier.  I do not know how I managed not to hit him, or managed not to swerve and kill myself avoiding this irresponsible cunt.  This was one of the most unbelievable driving experiences in all of the 32 years I've been driving. 'Flabbergasted' does not do justice to my complete dismay and fucking fury!  I almost wanted to turn around and rugby tackle the fucker.  Talk about stupid.



I have no idea why he did what he did, why the tiniest pothole needed attending to in such a manner, and why this worker did not wait for a proper gap in the traffic.  The 20 feet that I missed him by sounds quite a lot - but NOT at 70mph.  That means I was travelling at 102 feet per second, and so I missed him (and possible death/deaths) by one fifth of a second.

Scary.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment