Saturday 6 October 2018

6.10.18 Depression In Redcar


Today I spent just over two hours in Redcar.  I can best sum up the verdict as follows:

Redcar if fucking depressing, and it's on its arse.

I thought no more shops could possibly close down, but I was wrong - and the decline continues.  Even BrightHouse has downsized; it has relinquished its corner plot, and taken up residence in a tiny ex-Oxfam shop and dispensed with all the floor space such that it can now display little more than a fucking sofa.  When the shop specifically targeting poor people is forced to almost disappear, it tells you something about the economy and the area.




Perhaps rather more surprising than Redcar's general air of complete gloom and shabbiness was the utter fucking disgrace regarding the supermarket in the most prominent location.  I refer to Morrisons, and the disgrace was the scale of unavailability on the shelves.  I wondered whether a nuclear warning had been issued, or if Brexit plans had kicked in early.  Unbelievably, I had to queue for a fucking trolley before I could even enter the shop.  I was one of the lucky few who secured a small trolley from the supply of six that was pushed in by a worker after I'd hung around for a couple of minutes. 

Getting into the place was a cross between competing on Total Wipeout and Takeshi's Castle.  The gaps between the obstacles placed by management in the entrance area were like clogged arteries, as shoppers loitered like fat deposits. 

Empty containers in the fruit and veg area were matched by equally empty shelves in the surrounding area.  As I moved around the store, I became increasingly frustrated by the items I was unable to buy.  The apathy surrounding everything in Redcar was certainly depressing.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment