Sunday 3 March 2013

3.3.13 McDonald's On A Saturday

The simple advice regarding McDonald's on a Saturday is - "Don't go there". Certainly not at lunchtime, and in Harrogate.  Through necessity, a stop there yesterday was called for, and it was hardly an efficient experience.  The first issue encountered was the parking area which is past the building, to the point where walking in the front door means retracing one's steps over two mini zebra crossings, and negotiating various metal barriers.

Inside, we were amazed to see a ludicrously long queue, and kids were everywhere.  Yes, the little blighters were munching away on happy meals, squealing, holding balloons and generally adding to life's challenges.  However, the greatest addition to life's challenges actually came by way of a McDonald's employee - the drippy twat who was serving me once I'd finally made it to the counter.  Oh yes, he was remarkably inept; the only stars he'll be seeing are if someone punches him in the head.  I will not be naming him, as that would be totally unfair.

My order was not complicated; when prompted with the "Can I take your order?" question, I had the following exchange:

TMWSC: "Three quarter-pounder-with-cheese meals, please."
Dork:      "What drinks would you like?"
TMWSC: "Sprite no ice, a Pepsi and an orange juice, please."
Dork:      "Is that large meals?
TMWSC: "Only the Sprite one."

Now, any sane person would believe that this was straightforward; two ordinary meals, and one 'large' one, for the Sprite.  Oh no - not straightforward at all.  The painful wait was not enjoyable.  Dork decided first of all to get the drinks ready.  Taking a bottle of Orange juice from the fridge was hardly challenging; not so, the drinks in a cup.  He filled two large cups with drink - Sprite and Pepso, neither with ice, and secured lids.  After plonking them down on the tray, he loitered in a way that only a seventeen-year-old dork can.  I took the opportunity to enquire as to why he'd prepared two large drinks when I'd asked for just one meal to be large, meaning only the Sprite would be 'large'.  He realised and admitted his mistake.  I took a look at him once more and concluded that this twit would be in no position to deal with a credit.  Rather than expect him to process any form of procedure involving the till, I instead asked what the difference was, and it amounted to 40p.  I decided to let it go; despite the fact that 'going large' on an orange juice means fuck all because its size does not change, even though the price goes up.  After a minute or so, he decided for a reason that escapes me now to lift the tray, and the two cups immediately fell over.

As he'd secured lids, there was minimal leakage.  Nevertheless, he took this as a basis to get new drinks.  What the twat didn't do was replace the paper sheet on the tray that had soaked up some of the sprite after the spillage, and was now a pointless addition to the tray.

I waited for ages, as Dork seemed to forego any chance of bagging three burgers as they were dispensed.  He obtained three large portions of fries and placed them on the damp tray, and continued to loiter.  Eventually he go three burgers and passed me the tray - without spilling anything.

Next time I think I need to read out my orders one at a time, even if it sounds like I am taking the piss, and labouring the point when placing an order.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment